Why I switched from candles to diffusers

July 7, 2015 Baltimore, MD, USA

Sponsored Review

I love enjoying good scents in my home. But, as I've mentioned before. I'm incredibly sensitive to synthetic fragrance... which is everywhere from detergent to shampoo to candles.

I recently made the mistake of buying some candles online to support a fundraiser. I chose scents I would normally choose (i.e., lavender), thinking I was fine since the candles claimed to be soy and scented with essential oils. Right up my alley!

Nope. I lit one and had a headache within minutes. Such a waste of both money and product, which really irritated me.

emmi's essentials diffuser


On the other hand, I can put a few drops of lavender essential oil (EO) in a diffuser and enjoy the scent for hours...and experience wellness benefits!

I've since realized that saying goodbye to candles (and other home fragrance items) in favor of diffusers is the best decision for fragrance in my home. Here's why:

  1. You control the scent...and can change it. I have a diffuser by my bed, and throughout allergy season I mix lavender, lemon, and peppermint oils for relief. If I have a different ailment or just desire a different scent, changing it is just a matter of changing the water and putting a few drops of another EO in.
  2. Less waste...physical and financial. This year, I've made a point to be more aware of (and cut back on) personal waste. When you finish a candle, you're left with a container...and have to buy another candle. Yes, they can be upcycled, but let's be honest, a lot of them get trashed. On the other hand, when the diffuser is empty, you just add more water and EO—at a few drops per use, you buy additional oil a lot less often! 
  3. Health benefits. It's not just me—studies have been  citing synthetic fragrance as a toxic health hazard for years. Essential oils, on the other hand, smell good and offer holistic health benefits (i.e., the allergy remedy mentioned in #1).
  4. Safe for all households. Kids? Pets? No need to worry about accidental knock-overs leading to fire. Dorm or rental that doesn't allow candles? No problem. You have the fragrance without the fire.

I just got a second diffuser for the house from Emmi's Essentials! I love that it's quiet and BPA-free. It runs up to 3 hours per cycle (so no biggie if you forget to shut it off!) and doubles as a light source!

essential oil diffuser
Clary sage is a great relaxation oil if you're feeling anxious or depressed.
How do you like to keep your home smelling nice? Have you tried a diffuser?
post signature

6 comments

  1. Yep yep yep! I love lighting candles through my home it relaxes me but most candles have toxins. So now I use unsecured beeswax candles and diffuse oils

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love burning candles, but I've really been thinking about switching to EOs instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my diffuser and while there's not really a risk of fire, I wouldn't say it's safe for everyone because not all essential oils are safe for kids, pregnant women and pets. Glad you finally got one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my diffusers, great post ! Your blog design is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ideas you put forth in this post to use diffusers! I really want my readers to know about this too! I want to share this in my weekly series called "Roll Out The Red Carpet Thursday" - I share bloggers' amazing posts that I've found during the week. I hope that' ok! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Danielle! That is fine so long as you link back. :)

      Delete

Thanks for joining the discussion!


Bekah Loves Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


© Bekah Loves. Design by FCD.