super lazy eats: tomato sandwiches

July 11, 2013

This recipe, if you can even call it one, is proof that I was meant to be vegetarian before I even knew the word. You may have already seen me gushing over these on instagram.




My dad plants a small vegetable garden each year: radishes, cucumbers, corn, and tomatoes. Oh, the tomatoes. From a very young age, those tomatoes turned into tomato sandwiches. The easiest, yummiest summer lunch ever!

I ate them for days while recovering from surgery and had them for lunch four days in a row this week (I'd probably still be eating them, but I ran out of tomatoes)! Some people hear me talk about them and think I'm insane. They've never heard of such a thing. Others make my heart happy when they tell me they share my love of tomato sandwiches. Hopefully if you're the former type, I can turn you into the latter type.

If you're a tomato hater, well...your loss. :(

Tomato Sandwiches

1 tomato typically yields 2 sandwiches

You Will Need:

Tomato: 1 (don't even bother making these if the tomato is from the grocery store. Gardens/farmer's markets only! I eat these only in the summertime for a reason.)
Bread: 4 slices 
Mayonnaise: 2 tbsp. 
Sea salt: to taste 

Directions:

Toast the bread lightly. You want it slightly firm to avoid sogginess.
Slice the tomato
Spread mayonnaise on each slice of bread
Cover 2 slices of bread with tomatoes and season with salt/pepper as desired
Top off with other slice of bread and enjoy!

Doesn't get much easier (or tastier) than this! Of course, there are a gazillion ways to jazz this up, but I love a fresh, juicy tomato and the yummy simplicity of this version.

post signature

7 comments

  1. For years I would hear people talk about eating tomato sandwiches and I thought, "how gross". But, since I have been eating a more plant based diet, I have grown to enjoy them. I especially like turning regular grilled cheese into tomato grilled cheese. And, as you mentioned, a store bought tomato does this sandwich absolutely no justice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek, I can't with tomatoes. The texture is just a no for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man my family LOVES tomato sandwiches! I just recently started eating tomatoes so after I hit up the farmers market again soon I will definitly be trying them

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I am doing this for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the share. I just bought a ton of tomatoes on sale thinking I would have to find something!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love tomato sandwiches!! Gotta make it with Helmann's or Duke's mayo though...and can't forget the lettuce, lol! Have a good one Bekah...and don't eat too many 'mater sandwiches! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM, I can almost taste them now! Love garden tomatoes! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Hope your week is great!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the discussion!


Bekah Loves Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


© Bekah Loves. Design by FCD.